The Miners Foundry is pleased to present dawsondancesf on Tuesday, March 14, 2017, opening the Second Annual Nevada City Dance Festival. Back by popular demand, dawsondancesf offers risk taking, muscularly elegant contemporary ballet. A Question and Answer session will take place immediately following the performance. Patrons are invited to attend a Gala Reception after the Q&A. Doors are at 6:00 p.m. and the Performance begins at 7:00 p.m. Tickets are $30 General Admission and are available online, by phone, or in person at the Miners Foundry, or in person at Briar Patch Co-Op. Ticketing fees may apply.
Gregory Dawson, Founder and Artistic Director of dawsondancesf will present a master class for intermediate / advanced ballet dancers ages 13 to young adult. For more information or to register, please click HERE.
dawsondancesf breaks down the barriers placed on classical ballet, and brings to light the strength and beauty that artists possess within themselves, allowing them to explore their voices through choreography and vision. Through this process, artists transform themselves, audiences, and the world of dance that surrounds them. Gregory Dawson, Artistic Director, will present a master ballet class for invited intermediate / advanced students of the Nevada Union High School Dance Department, Holt Ballet Conservatory, and Sierra Dance Institute.
Gregory P Dawson, former Lines Ballet dancer, received his BA from Saint Mary’s College. In 2007, he formed dawsondancesf (ddsf) as an outlet for his choreographic goals and vision. Shortly thereafter, he created “which light in the sky is us” for Company C Contemporary Ballet (nominated for an Isadora Duncan Award for choreography) and became the Assistant Director of the California State Summer School of the Arts’ Dance Department in Southern California. In the fall of 2011, Mr. Dawson became Artistic Director of Dawson Wallace Dance Project in Denver, Colorado (formerly David Taylor Dance), where the Denver Post named him “the best choreographer in Denver.” Soon after, Dawson received a CHIME grant, partnering him with choreographic mentor Elizabeth Streb for one year. In September 2013, dawsondancesf re-established its presence in San Francisco with the world premiere of “fabricca matterasso d’argento” at Zaccho Dance Theatre. Following this, Mr. Dawson created “birds eye view” (a collaboration with the Richard Howell Quintet) for the 2014 Black Choreographers Festival, which received an Isadora Duncan Award in 2015. Also, ddsf presented “MONOCHROME” at the BAN7 Festival 2014 in San Francisco. In the Fall of 2014, Dawson premiered “in this moment” with Richard Howell. The Zellerbach Foundation funded ddsf next premiered, “intrinsic motion project“, and this past summer 2015 ddsf completed 5th week residency at CSSSA’s summer intensive at Cal Arts where Dawson is assistant to the Chair. In spring of 2015, ddsf premiered Intima produced by Al’myra Communication which collaborated with Ali Kaf – visuals, and Ashraf kateb – music. dawsondancesf made its debut in New York City in the Fall of 2014, at Baurch College, with a return in September 25-27 of 2015. Dawson currently teaches and choreographs for all the LINES Ballet Educational Programs.
Nevada City Dance Festival
The Miners Foundry is pleased to present the Second Annual Nevada City Dance Festival, March 13-17, 2017. This year, we are able to expand the Nevada City Dance Festival and offer a full week of professional dance activities, including three full evenings of dance, five professional dance companies, Master Classes for local dancers, a Gala Reception for all dance company members and patrons.
The Nevada City Dance Festival is presented with assistance from a California Arts Council Local Impact Grant. The CAC Local-Impact Grant of $10,800 is a matching grant, and as such, requries the support of the community which it has been awarded. Ticket sales alone will not help us match the grant funds. Sponsorships are critical to the on-going success ofthe Nevada City Dance Festival. The goals of the Nevada City Dance Festival are:
- Exposure of a wide range of local dance students to professional choreography.
- Exposure of professional dance companies to Nevada County and the Miners Foundry Cultural Center
- Developing the foundation for long-term relationships with professional dance companies and encouraging formation of permanent residency programs in our community.
- Nuturing community involvement in the creative artistic processes of professional dance.
Provides underwriting for:
– 6 students to atend the 3 Dance Master Classes
– 6 students to attend 3 technical & dress rehearsals
– 4 reserved seating tickets to the dawsondancesf performance on 03.14.17
– 4 reserved seating tickets to the Lake Tahoe Dance Collective and the Linda Bair Dance Company performances on 03.15.17
– 4 reserved seating tickets to the Pisa Za Congo Dance Company and AirAligned performances on 03.17.17
– 2 VIP Parking passes good for each of the 3 dance performances
Provides underwriting for:
– 3 students to attend the 3 Dance Master Classes
– 3 students to attend 3 technical & dress rehearsals
– 2 reserved seating tickets to the dawsondancesf performance on 03.14.17
– 2 reserved seating tickets to the Lake Tahoe Dance Collective and the Linda Bair Dance Company performances on 03.15.17
– 2 reserved seating tickets to the Pisa Za Congo Dance Company and AirAligned performances on 03.17.17
– 1 VIP Parking pass good for each of the 3 dance performances
Provides underwriting for:
– 1 student to attend the 3 Dance Master Classes
– 1 student to attend 3 technical & dress rehearsals
– 2 reserved seating tickets to one of the 3 dance performances
– 1 VIP Parking Pass good for one of the 3 dance performances
– 1 VIP Parking pass good for one of the 3 dance performances
Thank you to our dance partners:
Nevada Union High School Theatrical Dance Department
Holt Ballet Conservatory
Sierra Dance Institute
KSK Dance Collective