Built in 1859, the Stone Hall is the oldest section of the historic Miners Foundry. The Foundry has always moved in conjunction with Nevada City, adapting its use to serve the community for the last 160 years. Initially named Nevada in reference to the snow capped mountains surrounding the area, Nevada City was incorporated in 1856. As Nevada City grew to become the most important gold mining town in the state of California, businesses to serve the mines grew with it.
In an effort to prevent the roaring fires continually ravaging the city (seven times by one estimate), one of the first ordinances passed by the City of Nevada City stated the Foundry must be outside the city limits. The area presently known as 325 Spring Street was outside of the City limits in 1859. Using native stone and local timber, the Stone Hall was built to withstand the fires used to manufacture parts for the gold mines.