Posts

Upper Gallery Ceiling

Kat Alves Photography

Kat Alves Photography

 

“Charles & David saw beauty in all people, animals, and things, even when they were considered junk by others. ” ~ Paul Matson

To see one of the most beautiful areas in the Miners Foundry, simply look up.  The ceiling in the Upper Gallery is one of many items (including the Foundry building itself) saved from demolition by David Osborn and Charles Woods, founders of the American Victorian Museum.  Charles & David spent much of their time seeking out forgotten or unwanted items and restoring them. 

Myrmyr 167

Yulyia M. Photography

The pressed tin tiles in the Upper Gallery were salvaged from a drugstore in Colfax, CA that underwent renovations in the 1970s.  It’s believed the building may have originally been the Butler Drugstore, established by one of the founding fathers of Colfax between 1870 and 1875.  The original site can still be seen in Colfax, and is now known as The Old Pharmacy Building.

Immediately sensing the potential of the tiles, Osborn & Woods purchased the tiles, began the restoration process, and eventually installed them in the ceiling of the Upper Gallery.  The ceiling remains a wonderful reminder of how seemingly worthless objects can be re-purposed and enjoyed by generations to come.

 

Michelle & Matt